June 26, 2013

Meditation Saves A Veteran From PTSD and Suicide

Related:

Meditation Saves A Veteran From PTSD and Suicide. Source: DavidLynchFoundation. Date Published: September 26, 2012. Description:
Veterans are often loath to acknowledge to themselves or others their inner wounds of war after they return home from combat. Healing those wounds of war requires an approach that directly impacts the neurophysiology underlying post traumatic stress.

"The first week I was there three soldiers got killed there....I was certain I wasn't going to make it back home and I started thinking about suicide. I felt I was going to die anyway, so why be miserable day after day when it's going to happen? I was just certain it was going to happen....I tried five or six different kinds of depression medicine, two or three different kinds of anxiety medicines. When I continued to try and try and try and things weren't helping, hopelessness really was taking over and I still continued to think almost daily that suicide was going to be the option."

In 2011, Luke Jensen learned the Transcendental Meditation (TM) technique - a stress reducing practice, proven to combat the effects of PTSD.

"For the first time in I don't know how long I felt hope....I don't take anxiety medicine at all anymore....It's made me a better father, a better husband. I'd consistently thought about suicide before I learned TM. It was the first thing to kind of get that away and get that off my mind. It changed everything."

To support the David Lynch Foundation's Operation Warrior Wellness program: http://www.operationwarriorwellness.org/how-to-help