April 23, 2013

Kierkegaard - God Is Love

Related:  

Below is an excerpt from, "The Soul of Kierkegaard: Selections from His Journals." Edited by Alexander Dru. Dover Publications, Inc: Mineola, New York. 2003. Pg. 194-95.
"This is all I have known for certain, that God is love. Even if I have been mistaken on this or that point: God is nevertheless love, that I believe, and whoever believes that is not mistaken. If I have made a mistake it will be plain enough; so I repent---and God is love. He is love, not he was love, nor: he will be love, oh no, even that future was too slow for me, he is love. Oh, how wonderful. Sometimes, perhaps, my repentance does not come at once, and so there is a future---But God keeps no man waiting, he is love. Like spring-water which keeps the same temperature summer and winter---so is God's love. But sometimes a spring runs dry---no, no, how shall I praise him, there is no other praise than the expression which perfectly fits him whom we speak of, "God be praised!"---and so, God be praised, God's love is not of such a kind. His love is a spring which never runs dry."