October 9, 2013

Assad Clarifies Reality For German Propaganda Rag Der Spiegel


Below is an excerpt from a recent interview that the German propaganda rag Der Spiegel conducted with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. (Source: Syrian Arab News Agency. October 7, 2013). 
Der Spiegel: The legitimacy of a president does not rest on slogans and promises, but on actions. As a result of the gas attack against your people, you forfeited every right to be in your position.

President Assad: We did not use chemical weapons; this is not true. And the picture you are drawing of me is not true. The United States, the entire western world, the richest countries in the Arab world and neighbouring Turkey are against me, and terrorists are crossing the borders from Iraq. On top of all of this, I kill my people, who support me nevertheless!Am I superhuman? No. So, why am I still in power two and half years on? The answer is simple: because a large segment of the Syrian people support me, they support the government and the state. Whether they constitute 50% or less, that is a different issue. But this large segment also means ‘legitimacy.’ This is how things are in reality. 
"The legitimacy of a president does not rest on slogans and promises, but on actions." This statement is more true of President Obama than President Assad.

Der Spiegel is garbage.